Thursday, June 21, 2007

MISSED ONE: Treppenwitz has a list of 100 of his favorite movies.

He missed one:

The List of Adrian Messenger--about a man who uses disguises and makeup while murdering people who stand between him and an inheritance. The movie stars Kirk Douglas as the murderer and George C. Scott as the detective tracking him down.

The movie cast also includes Tony Curtis, Frank Sinatra, Robert Mitchum, and Burt Lancaster. The problem is--they never appear during the movie. At the end of the movie, the words "The End" appears--but a voice over interrupts that the movie is over--but not the mystery.

Four scenes are then reprised, and at the end of each one the key character faces the camera, tears off his makeup, and each of the 4 actors--Curtis, Sinatra, Mitchum, and Lancaster--is revealed.

When I saw it on TV as a kid, I thought that was pretty cool.
I still do.

UPDATE:
I prefer Treppenwitz's list to the one that has just come out from the American Film Institute.

3 comments:

treppenwitz said...

Glad you liked the list. That fact speaks volumes about you. :-)

Soccer Dad said...

Did you ever see Murder by Death?

I wonder if the ending of Murder by Death was meant to spoof the movie you described.

Daled Amos said...

I vaguely recall the movie and the ending. It suppose it could be a spoof. I recall the movie being on the silly side.

The movies I go to see these days are for kids, so they are rather tame.

(I still can't believe they started Finding Nemo with the mother being eaten--between that and the sharks, we had to leave about a third of the way into the movie)